Listening to this very interesting conversation between Jack Ma and Charlie Rose I learned this:
- At 6:25, Jack Ma mentioned that the average age of a person working for Alibaba is 27-28 years old. And at 39:15, he said that 47% of people working for Alibaba are women. In this regard, Jack Ma said he has found that women think about others more than they think about themselves.
- At 7:25 Jack Ma explained that he failed several exams. He also said that he got rejections to many jobs he applied for. Being asked by Charlie Rose what effect it had on him getting rejected, Jack Ma said “I think we have to get used to it. We’re not that good.”
- At 11:45 Jack Ma mentioned that in 1995, when he was in Seattle, USA, he did a search on the Internet for the first time in his life. He mentioned that he could not find any information about China when he was searching. That inspired him.
- At 25:40 Jack Ma mentioned that he was enthusiastic / excited about what he was doing and happy that he could help people with what he made available on the Internet. He also talked about a surprising experience he had: Once he was in a restaurant, he experienced that a person who wanted to express his appreciation for the work Jack Ma was doing, had paid for his meal.
- At 33:15 Jack Ma mentioned that he loves Forrest Gump because he is simple, believes in what he is doing and does not give up. He also said that he likes the phrase “Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you get.”
- At 34:35 Jack Ma explained that he worries about that a lot of young people lose hope, lose vision, and complain. Jack Ma explained that he was also depressed and said that it’s not a good feeling being rejected. He explained that later, he found out that there are many opportunities in the world, and that it matters how you see the world.
- At 38:00 Jack Ma explained that many years ago, he wanted to change the world. He went on to explain that today, he thinks that “if we want to change the world, we need to change ourselves. Changing ourselves is more important – and it is easier than changing the world.” He added that he wants to improve the world.