During this well moderated and informative 1-hour event on the transformation of energy, I learned, for example, this:
- From minute 3: The downward trend in the price of oil will continue. Investments in oil are declining.
- From minute 10: The price of solar energy has reduced dramatically. Technology innovations have helped solar panels to generate energy much more efficiently. Price reductions in solar energy will increase. In China, investments in renewable energies – including solar energy – will increase considerably.
- From minute 20: Renewable energies are developing into a main fuel. In particular, wind energy and solar energy are in focus. The driving forces are emerging economies with China, India, and Brazil as strong growth engines.
- From minute 31: The price of batteries is decreasing – leading to increasing usage. In particular, the use of batteries in transportation will increase and drive further innovation. Electric vehicles are key in driving growth in the use of batteries.
- Minute 59: The increase in demand for energy will increase considerably.
As you watch / listen to the event, please note the moderator’s strong moderation skills / facilitation skills, for example in
- asking short, concrete questions – including follow up questions – to each of the panelists.
- involving other participants in the room by inviting them to ask short, concrete questions. In this regard, notice how the moderator follows up on the question of a participant at minute 48 and asks the person to better explain what he means and be more explicit – thereby helping the person asking the question to add more detailed information.